Friday, January 6, 2012

Jan 6 - 東京で歩く

I spent the whole day walking in the nearby area, which included Azabu (麻布), Roppongi (六本木), Tokyo Tower, and Akasaka (赤坂). I first thought they're pretty far, but they're actually quite close. There's this area called Azabu Juban (麻布十番), that I've heard about it for a long time but didn't get the chance to go there. So, here I was.



I woke up pretty late in the morning and so it's about lunch time by the time I've reached Azabu Juban. I decided to try sashimi, and I found this restaurant called Arakokyu (鰓呼吸), or breathing with gills.


Here's the inside of the restaurant.


I ordered their Tekka Don (鉄火丼), which is raw tuna over rice.


After I lunch, I walked further and I realized that Tokyo Tower was really close. Even though this is my 8th time in Japan, I have never visited Tokyo Tower. To be honest, I don't think it's that spectacular. Anyway, since it's within walking distance, I decided to give it a try, but I never thought of going up the tower though.

So, here's a photo I took outside.


I always thought the tower was built on a huge flat area, but Tokyo Tower was actually built on a small hill. It's interesting that they chose such a location. If I had entered the tower, I could have read the whole history but I didn't do it.

I returned to the hotel early evening. For some reason, I wanted to have yakitori (焼き鳥) tonight. So I asked the front desk what's good yakitori restaurant in Shibuya. They gave me one by the name of Fuku Mimi (福みみ), and also gave me a map. It took a while for me to find it. But it's cheaper and better than yesterday's "all you can eat".

Grilled chicken liver and grilled chicken meat loaf (they call this tsukune, つくね).


I don't know how to translate. It's chicken wrapped with sea weed. They call it Shisomaki (しそ巻).


Chicken skin and chicken soft bones.


Chicken gizzards and nori mayo tsukune (のりマヨつくね, sea weed + mayonnaise + grilled chicken meat loaf).


Chicken soft bones again. I don't know what's the difference between the first one but they have different names.


Cold tofu from Hokkaido.


Yaki onigiri (焼きおにぎり, grilled rice ball) and soup made with chicken bones.


Finally, the desert - Shiratamaccha (白玉ッ茶). It's ice-cream with matcha powder, red bean paste, and rice flour dumplings.


Two more days, and I'll not be able to have food like this :(

No comments:

Post a Comment