Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Dec 27, 2011 - 日本到着!

Last year, when I was also traveling in Japan, I became very sick towards the last 2 days of the trip. Before I left this time, one of my friends gave me this advice. "Eat their tofu upon arrival." The theory is that I'll get the local bacteria into my body, and hence make myself immune. So, here I am, looking for tofu in Shinjuku.

The lady at the front desk was kind enough and recommended me to this superb place called Tofuro (土風炉). It's less than 5 minutes from the hotel on foot. I guess it's kind of a isakaya (居酒屋), judging from its menu.

I ordered their soba and 2 tofu dishes. Here's the soba.


It's the first time I was given raw wasabi.


And here's the first tofu dish, dekitate tofu (出来たて豆腐). The side dish on the right was wasabi and salt.


And the second tofu dish is called mocchiri tofu (もっちり豆腐).


The texture was like cheese. The tofu itself was not sweet, but the caramel-like sauce on top was.

Everything was so delicious! 美味しかった!

By the time I returned to the hotel, it's already 10:30pm. I have not slept for almost 24 hours!

1 comment:

  1. 美味しそう!生のわさび、アメリカで20ドルぐらいするよね。

    ReplyDelete