Sunday, February 22, 2009

Expressions of Color

I was having a casual conversation with a friend of mine in Hong Kong during lunch. We both started with traditional black and white and we don't have a lot of experience with color. He said, "if you shoot color, it ought to be one of your subjects; otherwise, why not simply express in black and white since you're not taking advantage of color." I think it makes a lot of sense. With that principle in mind, I forayed into the realm of color for my first time.


Vending machines in Shinjuku (新宿), Tokyo.


It was Jan 1, 2009. I came across this cart after visiting my grandfather whose body was laid to rest in Cheung Chau (長洲). I love the mysterious mood and the muted colors.


Abandoned house around Sheung Wan (上環)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the whole, I still prefer your black & white work. However, I do like the abandoned house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abandoned House

    Who once walked home on these steps everyday?
    Greeted by whose laughter, whose kiss?
    Perhaps a drama behind closed doors
    Perhaps a quiet existence
    But to a certain whom - a bed, a home, a warmth
    A spot on which lovers used to stand
    A doorknob familiar to someone’s hand
    A window still half reveals
    Imprinted faces and dreams
    Memories have dwindled, life moved on
    But the abandoned door still whispers
    Quiet tales in forlorn purple

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your poem. I especially like your last 3 lines. It captures the essence of what I was trying to capture with my lens.

    ReplyDelete